Every now and then, I catch a creative bug and get the urge to redecorate our entire homeschool room…what can I say? It’s the interior decorator in me.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Inspired
Recently, my younger kiddos have been O-B-S-E-S-S-E-D with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. So, I decided to do a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom inspired theme for our homeschool room! I’ve actually done this theme before, like 4-years or so ago, but let’s be honest…it never goes out of style. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom will outlive us all…
Anywho, I’m going to show you how I made these super cute (yet, super simple!), oversized palm trees for our homeschool room decor. No crazy crafting skills needed!
Make the Trunk
- First, take one sheet of brown construction paper. Then, fold pamphlet style length-wise in 3 equal sections. Next, turn the paper so the fold lines are horizontal.
2. Next, use a pencil to roughly sketch the trunk of the palm tree (as pictured above.) Don’t worry about making it perfect! You’ll be cutting out each piece individually.
Once assembled, you won’t even notice the imperfections. It’s actually what gives them that whimsical “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” vibe!
3. Next, trace over your pencil lines with a brown marker. Again, don’t make it “perfect.”
Tip: Go back and erase the pencil lines if they’re bugging you…I did…
4. Lastly, cut out each trunk piece individually. This is going to give you more freedom when it comes to assembling your palm tree.
Repeat steps 1-4 for as many as you need (depending on how big you make your tree.)
I used 4 sheets for each 3′ palm tree that I made. So, that’s 12 pieces for each tree.
Make the Branches
5. Now, we’re gonna work on the palm tree branches. First, take a green sheet of construction paper and trace the shape of a palm tree leaf with your pencil (Just a rough sketch!)
6. Next, trace over your paper leaf with a green marker.
FYI: Tracing over your lines is going to help your tree stand out once assembled.
7. Now, cut out your palm tree leaf. Repeat steps 5-7 at least 3 times (a total of 4 leaves per tree.) If you want, you can do more for a fuller look.
Tip: You can use a variation of light green and dark green paper for a unique look. Last time I made these trees, I did this and I LOVED the way it looked!…I only had one shade of green this time around but it still looks awesome! =)
Make the Coconuts
8. Next, you’re gonna make the coconuts! First, use a circular shape (I used a cup) to trace your circles.
Tip: Consider the size of your palm tree when choosing a size for your coconuts.
9. Next, trace over your coconuts with a brown marker.
10. Lastly, cut out each coconut individually. Don’t worry about rough edges. Remember, it gives them character =)
11. WooHoo! You should have all your pieces completed. You’re ready to assemble your palm tree!
Assemble Your Palm Tree
Now, how you assemble your palm tree is totally up to you. I put ours on our white board so I used tape. All together, I made a total of two palm trees (one for each side of the white board.)
To assemble ours, I started from the bottom and worked my way up. You can position the trunk pieces closer or farther apart depending on how much space you have and what your vision is.
I left some space at the top of our palm trees because I want to put a fun banner above them. I’ll also be adding paper letters climbing up the tree because…Hello! Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!
I must say, I’m really loving the way they turned out. They have the fun and quirky feel that I was going for. I’m excited to see how it all comes together in the end!
Share With Us
Now it’s your turn! Don’t forget to tag @homeschoolinjammies or use #homeschoolinjammies so I can see your awesome DIY paper palm trees!
Until next time,
P.S. Be on the lookout because I’ll be sharing our progress for our “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” inspired homeschool room makeover (plus an awesome FREEBIE!)
Get 40+ Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Themed Sight Word Cards!